Monday, May 16, 2011

Homemade Hummus

I love hummus and I love being able to make it cheaply whenever I want, instead of spending a lot of money for a very small container of it. Plus, I needed to use up some of those Chickpeas in my cupboards before we moved.

Hummus
  • 1 Can Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans) (Reserve a 1/4 C liquid from can)
  • 1 T Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic (Minced) - I use 3 or 4 cloves.
  • 1/2 t Salt
  • Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
  • 2 T Olive Oil

This is quick and easy to make if you have a food processor (just put it all in and blend- save the olive oil until the very end). But, I don't have a food processor, or a blender, so it takes a bit of arm strength. I find a potato masher works really well to mash up the chickpeas, use a little of the liquid you reserved as needed for a creamier consistency. Add tahini (I find the tahini in the cultural food isle, it's a bit expensive, but it lasts for a very long time and I can get numerous batches of hummus out of one container). Add garlic, lemon juice and mix all together. Add the olive oil last. The texture is a little smoother if you have a food processor, but it tastes just as good without one.
I really like it with pita bread and grilled chicken, but I've also used it as a spread on sandwiches and burgers. Tasty!

No comments: